- This event has passed.
September 24 @ 11:30 am - 1:00 pm CDT
Trainer: Jennifer Abel, Ph.D.
- This event is will offer CEU credits totaling 1.5 hours for LPCs, LCSWs, LMFTs
- If you are a Psychotherapy Saint Louis member this training is free; please be sure you are logged in when registering.
Event Description: This course differentiates insomnia, the experience of being unable to sleep, from the diagnostic criteria for insomnia disorder. Differential diagnoses will be discussed as many other disorders are often confused with insomnia disorder. The latest assessment tools will be presented. Treatment of insomnia and insomnia disorder will be provided in detail, including: sleep hygiene, stimulus control, sleep restriction, relaxation, managing positive and negative reinforcement of insomnia, cognitive therapy, education, and medication. Dr. Abel’s sleep-related concepts and treatments will also be presented: win-win strategy, vulnerability factors in sleep, and the problem-solving sheet designed to reduce bedtime worries.
- Understand the difference between subjective insomnia and insomnia disorder.
- Be able to rule-out sleep disorders that may be confused with insomnia disorder.
- Be able to teach clients good sleep hygiene.
- Understand the importance of stimulus control and help clients to make their beds a stimulus for sleep vs. wakefulness.
- Learn an overview of sleep medications and how best to utilize them with sleep hygiene, psycho-educational, and cognitive-behavioral strategies.
Instructor bio: Dr. Jennifer Abel is an international speaker, author, and psychologist who has specialized in the treatment of anxiety, worry, and stress for 30 years. She has been to all 50 states and delivered seminars in 47. Known for her expertise in worry, she has written three related books, including Active Relaxation and the best seller: The Anxiety, Worry, and Depression Workbook. Her therapy card decks are very popular too. Dr. Abel has a YouTube channel offering weekly tips to manage worry and/or anxiety. Recently her trainings have been added to Wisemind.com.